NExT is seeking Research Interns
NExT is NUS-Tsinghua Extreme Search Centre (NExT) a leading research centre jointly established by the National University of Singapore (NUS) and Tsinghua University of China. NExT conducts research in the areas of large-scale live social media content analysis and search, including live event detections, information organization, and the generation of multimedia multilingual analytics for corporations, people, events and locations.
User profile learning, such as mobility and demographic profile learning, is of great importance to various applications. Meanwhile, the rapid growth of multiple social platforms and increasing popularity of wearable sensors makes it possible to perform a comprehensive user profile learning from different views. However, the research efforts on user profile learning from multiple data sources are still relatively sparse, and there is no large-scale dataset released towards user profile learning. Specifically, current user profile learning research usually leverages either single-source or single-modality data. However, for most of applications in wellness, marketing or advertisement domains with the emergence of the Big Data it might be useful to process heterogeneous multi-modal and multi-source data jointly in real-time manner. Moreover, the recent emergence of wearable sensors provides incredible opportunities for joint physical and virtual user profile learning.
This project focus is on joint physical and virtual user-generated content analysis. Specifically, our aim is to investigate users’ physical activities, recorded by personal wearable sensors, together with multisource social media user generated content.
• On-site work in Singapore
• Work on assigned research project under supervision:
• Data processing software development
• Mathematical modelling
• Prototype and Demo-projects implementation
• Project documentation and assistance in publications
• Candidate must be a student currently pursuing Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Master’s degree in Computer Science, PhD degree in Computer Science
• English level B1 or higher
• Expert knowledge and production code experience in at least one of the following: C++, .Net (C#), Java
• Knowledge in at least one of the following: Python, Mathlab, Weka, Knime, R
• A solid understanding of fundamental algorithms, system design
• Analytical and organizational skills
• Experience in following would be a plus:
• Machine-learning and NLP background
• Scripting languages
• Java Spring and other front-end frameworks
• Experience in clustered virtual environments
What We Offer:
• Internship in team of Asia’s leading professionals in the area
• Flexible working hours
If interested, please send your cover letter and curriculum vitae to Alex (farseev AT u.nus.edu) by 30 Nov 2015.